Monday, September 21, 2026

Blooming miracles

​the garden is definitely waking up 


Plums, apricot and avocado 

The poor avo tree got very damaged with the frosts.  

I was worried it wouldn’t survive. But it’s a tough little bugger. 

New leaves are erupting 


Bearded irises are setting flowers 


And the stock is enjoy the warm weather and sunshine 


We have set up a dusting area for the chickens. 

The very fine dust helps with keeping them bug free. 

Normally they would find a soft spot and scratch to make a hole. 

They then get in and throw the dust over themselves 

Another little thing they can’t do when locked in their chicken run. 

We haven’t heard any more about the avian flu. 

But I think we will play safe and keep them locked in until the duck hatch their babies

They will leave during summer when our little dam dries out. 

It should be safe then. Unless of course we hear of another breakout of the virus 

If anyone has any ideas on keeping them entertained. Please let me know 

As for Henry the ring neck parrot. 

He ate all the fruit and veg in about an hour. So I had to give him more. 

I’m so pleased he enjoyed it. 

I’m happy when my feather, and fur family are all happy 

8 comments:

  1. It's lovely to see all your fresh Spring growth when all our leaves are starting to turn brown.
    I have seen programmes about zoos where dried food is contained in balls with holes in them and animals get the reward of the food when they move the ball around. Perhaps you could come up with something similar with plastic bottles and mealworms. It might take a bit of fiddling with to get it right so that the worms come out but not too quickly.
    The other thing they do is put tasty leaves up high with a convenient perch nearby so that the animal has to get up there for a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Spring Equinox to you and all your critters Down Under!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We collect ash from winter fires for our neighbour who let's his chooks bathe in it. Same reason.
    I didn't realise it was equinox. The moon is growing bigger. We watch it every night from the balcony waiting for the full moon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen how bright Venus is this month?

      Delete
    2. No. I’ll go out tonight. There is Hardly any light pollution here

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous spring flush. My baby avocados curled up and died😒 Cant wait to see your bearded irises. And the animals are looking lovely in the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not easy to grow. It’s been a long hard road. It’s not flourishing it it’s not do either. Maybe next autumn I’ll move it.

      Delete