Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Not so ancient wisdom

I remember my grandmother having a mending basket that usually contained socks more than anything else. 

I too had one when first married. But clothes became so cheap, and nasty , that it just wasn’t worth mending. 

The kids usually outgrew them before they needed mending. 

But, as I now make socks myself, out of pure wool, they’re definitely worth mending 

I was inspired by Boud and her visible darning. I saw this little contraption somewhere on the interweb and decided to purchase it. 

Today I used it for the first time. 

As usual I watched a few YouTube tutorials and dove right in. 

Just setting it up was a challenge. 

The warp took me three try’s and it still wasn’t perfect. I just left them on after the third try and started weaving 

Again a challenge. I had to not pull to hard as the yarn gave way too easily 

But I persisted 

The photo is the final result. 

Definitely room for improvement. 

I’m sure, hope, that I will get better with practice. 

I added the little cow needle holder. 

I think he looks adorable 

2 comments:

  1. I used to darn socks, taught by my mother, but you're right, just not worth it any more. Unless they're homemade!
    Your darning looks good and I really like the variegated patching.
    You amaze me again the way you learn from YouTube. I pick up hints but find following a tutorial very difficult

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great to me! I love the concept of "visible mending."

    ReplyDelete