Thursday, October 25, 2018

Anaphylaxis strikes again


Well I spent most of the night here at the emergency department of our local hospital 
Went to bed around nine last night. All good 
Then that familiar tightening of the throat and the swelling of the area made me get up and decide to try taking
More antihistamine tablets. 

Didn’t work 

Soon I had to use the epipen again 
Woke hubby up 
And off to hospital we went 
Got there just after 10.30pm. 
The nurses were wonderful 
They could see I was about to have an anxiety attack and just kept talking to me calmly 
Giving me hugs and being wonderful human beings 

I had to have another shot of adrenaline when I got there and steroids intravenously 
And it was a watch and wait situation 
I sent hubby home to sleep. No sleep in the ER

By 3.30am I was given the all clear to go home 
They gave me prednisone and enough for two more days 
And let me ring hubby to come get me 
I was back in my bed at four this morning 
I’m exhausted, sore from all the adrenaline and the panic attack 
But I’m still here. 

That kind of excitement I don’t need thanks 
It’s only been six months since the last time. 
Way too soon
See ya. xxx

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you are better, but it must be a scary thing to go through. Take care and rest up.

    Julie and Poppy Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good hospital there and nice and close by the sounds of it. Not nice at all. So glad you got back home relatively quickly. I hope you rest enough before getting out in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, great to hear you got great treatment. Had the same at The Valley after my hip was done. But they panicked and injected adrenaline into my tongue to stop it from swelling. 2 days in ICU and they figured out what triggered it. Glad you are OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Glad I don’t have to do that. It’s bad enough I got to inject myself in the leg.

      Delete