Monday, March 25, 2024

Fox in the hen house


Early this morning. Around 2.00am the dogs started barking and the rooster was going off. Hubby went out to check and there in the chicken run was a fox. He was trying to get out. He had killed one chicken and who knows how many others he would of killed if the dogs hadn’t woken up hubby 

Two years and no fox kills. The thick wire around the coop and in the ground kept them out. But this one climbed up past the wire and chewed the black netting 

I’m so upset. They have now found the weak spot. 
We were  going away over the Easter and now I’m thinking I might stay home 

We will see what happens over the next few nights. 
I hate foxes. They’re an introduced pest wreaking havoc on the wildlife as well as my chickens 

Not happy Jan 

9 comments:

  1. At least the loss of only one chook is the price of finding where you need to strengthen the coop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the chickens. Will you change the netting out for wire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at this stage. The netting is really tough and for two years it worked. I think this was a particularly persistent fox And this stuff is really really expensive so we will just see how it goes

      Delete
  3. Oh no. That's terrible. Not another predator. I can understand why you don't want to go away. Hope hubby can fix a secure hen house

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! So sorry to read this.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear that, that truly is terrible!

    ReplyDelete