Sunday, November 20, 2022

Veggie progress

Harvested the last of the leek  I’ll wash and cut these up to freeze. They will be perfect for slow cooker recipes 



I planted some burpless cucumbers in the wicking bed they came from. I’ll have to rig some kind of trellis for them as they grow 



The malaka tomatoes and chillies are growing well  we have a few yucky leaves but I’ll chop them off so no dramas there 





First lot of tomatoes are getting big now. We have flowers hopefully we will get fruit 



Even the little plants are growing well. They now look like tomatoes. 



The silverbeet is starting to bolt so that’s next for removal. I’ll chop it up and freeze it. Works a treat 

The salad greens have been chopped many times for my lunch and is still growing 




Squash have taken off. And zucchini 





I planted six beans here but only four have succeeded. Two were eaten grrrrr 



Going to have to dry some herbs soon. 



Beetroot needs to be pulled and processed. We don’t eat heaps of pickled beetroot so I might try freezing them to have roasted  I’ll have to investigate and see it that works 



My little rhubarb now has two leaves. I think it would be doing much better if the weather was nicer 



So although we have had buckets of rain, the garden is still producing. Every day I harvest something to add to our dinner. And that has got to help keep supermarket costs down 

10 comments:

  1. We had a couple of zucchini the other night. My plant is massive. Tomatoes are flowering. The leaves look a bit dodgy but I have no idea why. My pumpkin is very sad. I think it's cos it's in the actual ground rather than a raised bed and its feet are probably very wet.
    Your leeks inspire me to grow some next winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very versatile. I use them instead of onions I think the weather is just too wet but we must keep going. That’s the farmers way

      Delete
  2. Thr leeks are giving me leek envy. They look wonderful, and I use leeks s lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll definitely plant more next season. Summer is onion time. Although we might not get a summer this year

      Delete
  3. Wow that is looking very productive. The English gardners have a saying for sowing beans: one for the mouse, one for the crow, one to rot, and one to grow! So 4 out of 6 is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me. I’ll remember next time and plant extra

      Delete
  4. Lots of good healthy plants. It's time for us to plant leeks. I'd forgotten about them. Lettuces and rocket is all I've planted so far. I shall seek out leeks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great winter crop. Use them in nearly everything

      Delete
  5. Never heard of malaka tomatoes.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a type developed by one of our television celebrity gardeners.
      Apparently it grows big tomatoes so I can’t wait to see what I get

      Delete