Sunday, June 9, 2024

Rainy Sunday

Today the weather is very wintery dull grey and showery 

A perfect day for being in the garden. 
As our autumn was unusually warm and sunny things just didn’t want to go dormant or die down.  So  all the autumn jobs were behind 

I was waiting for the rhubarb to die back so I could clean it all up. 

Now it’s gone from this 



To this 



Most of the veg seedlings I planted are growing nicely but the broccolini went straight to seed. I’ll have to replant 



The daffodils are  flowering they’re just as confused as we all are 




I think these are sugar beets 



Kale, rainbow chard. Or as we call it silver beet 
And I think the other bed is either normal broccoli or cauliflower 



Tomatoes have self seeded  I might cover them and let them grow 



The last of the summer crops have been cleared these beds will be topped up ready for spring 



The chickens have got all the garden waste to eat, play, and compost 

With all the bird flu going round and  being shown on the telly, we are keeping them in their run to minimise contact with wild birds 



Have finally planted the fig trees along the northern side of their run. They’ll grow big and leafy and provide shade from the hot summer sun 




I’ve harvested some rhubarb and pulled out some frozen apricots from our tree to make dump cake 

YouTube or Pinterest dump cakes. They’re so easy and are delicious hot with ice cream 


If I remember I’ll take some pics to show you 


4 comments:

  1. A good garden tidy up is good for the soul. I moved compost yesterday and was surprised how much there was (and how well it had composted).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleaning up a garden is so satisfying, as long as you have a destination for the debris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to make a rhubarb dump cake soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fig trees make marvellous shade trees. We have a few around us. Walnut trees are pretty good and carob trees too. You could make carob flour. If you wanted to

    ReplyDelete