Thursday, June 6, 2024

Winter wash days

I don’t have a dryer, by choice. They use so much power and increase your bills by hundreds a year. Not to mention the ruin your clothes. 

So during winter I have washing drying all over 

Hubbys clothes were on the line under the back veranda. But it’s been so foggy and the air full of moisture that they’re not drying completely 

I’ve brought them in to finish drying in the warm house





My clothes always are hung inside as the whole bending and stretching palaver you have to do to hang washing is very bad for my back pain 

Also once dry most things just get put straight into the wardrobe. 
Nice and easy 





Now the back line is empty I’ve hung the sheets 
Once the clothes are dry inside. Which should be by the end of the day as they were almost dry, I’ll bring the sheets inside to finish drying over night 



I know it’s extra work. And I know it’s not the hight of home beautiful having washing all over the place.  
But I don’t really care. 

This was just one way I kept my bills down while struggling to pay off mortgages and raise kids 

Besides. It makes my step counter look much healthier 

12 comments:

  1. Saving fuel is big. I don't have enough space to dry more than small stuff in the house and it's not permitted to hang outside on the patio. Very tiny space, no room to flap! But I avoid the dryer as much as I can. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t understand the rules of not hanging washing outside.
      Whoever makes those rules should have to help pay your power bills I say.
      Yes. Makes it very hard indeed

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. And everyone had their washing flapping in the wind outside.
      Using renewed solar and wind energy to dry their clothes

      Delete
  3. A chinese laundry lol. I hang clothes inside, in the winter. Its surprising how fast they dry just in the heat of the house. At the moment I hang the clothes in the shade or hang them out at night so theyre not burnt by the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Too much sun fades them. So the veranda is good for that too

      Delete
  4. I'd love a back verandah like that..one you can really use whatever the weather!
    I used a dehumidifier by clothes that are drying inside..saves having a damp house and the consequences of that. But even half an hour in fresh air makes such a difference, doesn't it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the fire going so there really isn’t any humidity
      And yes. Even a few hours outside does help

      Delete
  5. I don't have a dryer and getting clothes dry in the winter in the north of England can be a real challenge in the winter, as it can be very damp for weeks on end. I put wet clothes on hangers and hang them from doorframes upstairs. They get the combined heat of a heater on the upstairs landing and warm air wafting upstairs from a heater in the downstairs hallway. I also invested in a dehumidifier a couple of years ago and it has really helped. Yes, it costs money to run, but it doesn't harm the clothes and removing moisture from the air helps to keep the house feeling warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humidity can do lots of damage to your home and everything in it.
      It’s best to not let it get out of control I’ve got a wood fire and if I have too I have celling fans going to help move the air around

      Delete
  6. I don't understand communities (they exist here in England) where hanging out the washing is banned. We all have laundry (unless so wealthy we use new clothes, sheets, towels, at every change) - it is normal (and 'green') to dry it in fresh air, and like you we finish ours off indoors too when necessary. My Mum had a laundry basket like a shopping trolley so that she didn't have to bend when hanging the washing on the line (and didn't have to lug the basket about by hand).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems silly to me as well. Imagine not being able to hang washing. Bizarre
      I have a stool that I use at the big clothes line That helps. But fortunately I still have to get the clothes out of the washing machine and lug them all the way out back. I know first world problems. I’m grateful that I am able to do it. Even if it’s a tad hard some days

      Delete