Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Uncertain times

The world is in turmoil 
Prices are going up and up all the time 
A friend has just posted that fuel here is now $2.20+ a litre 

So any money I can save is a bonus 
We have a fig tree that self seeded. Not really sure how but I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth 
We harvested these today and there are still lots on the tree ripening 



Don’t know what breed they are. But they’re delish 
We collected another big bowl full from the veggie garden 
More ratatouille will be made and frozen for use in winter 


The beans are starting to look old now. 
Not a good year for beans but I harvested enough for the freezer so I’m happy 



This zucchini is looking a little worse for wear so I think we will pull it out this weekend 


It doesn’t matter as this one has lots of babies so we will still harvest more zucchini this year 


The pumpkins are ripening nicely 
Once the plant dies off and the stem dries I’ll pick these and store them 


And my spaghetti squash. Last year I didn’t harvest any 
So I planted them in the wicking bed this year. And it looks like we might get some 
The bed is in the hot house so if the weather turns really cold I will just pull the plastic over it 
And let them keep growing 



While I was planting seedlings I ran out of room in the beds. So I planted this one in the flower garden 
With the the prices skyrocketing I figured any harvest no matter where is a good thing 




It’s still nice outside, although the real hot weather of summer is gone 
We are now getting more winds from the south and they’re always cooler 

Our firewood supply is coming along 
And soon we will bring it all close to the house ready for burning 

Looks like any unnecessary travel will be avoided 
Not that it affects me too much. I don’t travel far at all 
But I think people will now evaluate if they really do need to go somewhere and will probably try to 
Fit in as many errands as they can per trip 
I do hope it doesn’t get worse before it gets better 





9 comments:

  1. I wonder whether anyone will be travelling soon especially from northern hemisphere to south or vice versa. What a plane trips going to cost now?
    Your garden just keeps on giving. You live in a peaceful paradise. Or at least it seems to me at the moment. I would love some warm breezes and a garden full of goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think I’ll be going anywhere anytime soon
      It’s just going to cost too much , the airlines are going to want to recoup money they lost during covid so I imagine the prices will be sky high. Pun intended lol

      Delete
  2. The Golfer is already muttering about travel to Qld in July..…..he’s not convinced the price of fuel will have dropped even a little bit by then. Think I’m going to have to adjust the savings budget to allow for that!
    I enjoy seeing what comes from your garden to your plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see if it’s worth driving or maybe getting a flight
      Who knows what will happen

      Delete
  3. Figs! F is very jealous. You are doing really well with garden produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never find them in the shops.
      I would think you could Maybe grow one in a big pot

      Delete
  4. We have fig trees that pop up every year. Normally I pull them out as they grow UNDER the decking but this year I left them and we have figs. How do I know if they're ripe?! We appear to have a couple of varieties based on the leaves.
    Hopefully petrol will drop a little bit after the long weekend but I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When their soft to touch they’re ripe.
      You should be able to pull them apart very easily

      Delete
  5. I think the best place in these times is at home, in our safe haven.

    Becoming as self reliant as we can is probably a good idea.

    I had great success with spaghetti squash this year, being the first time I've grown them. The other pumpkins produced zilch.

    They said this year would be the roughest, and its proving to be right. So many will suffer financial strain.

    Take care Angela,
    xTania

    ReplyDelete