Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Preserving



Made pesto from my basil that had  grown enormous 
It take quite a bit to make each jar. 
I only stopped because I had run out of  Parmesan cheese. 
There’s olive oil in as well but I didn’t add pine nuts. 
If I give any away I want everyone to eat it safely 

I’m dehydrating zucchini. I’ll then put them in jars with garlic, chillies and mixed herbs. Fill with oil and process them. Last years was a hit 




I’m also making big batches of food. 
We will eat and I’ll freeze the rest for future use. I’ve got my garden produce in here as well as bought.  So another great way to preserve what you have 


It’s getting to that time of year. Preserving food 
Getting the place ready for winter. And soon start work on the wood pile 

A busy, but, wonderful time of year 

8 comments:

  1. You are very productive. When I make pesto, with basil or carrot greens or any other green stuff, I freeze it in Ziploc bags. I don't use pine nuts, too expensive, but I do use chopped walnuts. Very handy, you can break off the exact amount you need. I do the same with tomato paste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to preserve it in a way that I didn’t need to use up freezer space but that is a great idea

      Delete
  2. You have been busy. I need to get some more veges in. The tomatoes are being eaten. I don't think I'll bother with them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s been a terrible year for tomatoes I’ve been harvesting when they’re not very red and letting them ripen in the kitchen

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Absolutely. The first of the harvest festivals is feb 2nd lughnasadh

      Delete
  4. Hard to believe you are getting ready for winter. But I understand you've got to preserve all those summer vegetables. I bet you supply all the family
    My sis in law in NZ said it was so wet she hardly harvested one tomato and peaches were rotting on the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not a great harvest.
      It’s just not been a great summer at all
      The harvests have been so small that I’ve been able to cook and preserve a little everyweek. Hopefully the winter harvests are much better

      Delete