Monday, June 19, 2023

Goodbye Ireland hello Scotland


This morning we did a driving tour of Belfast. Specifically the areas most affected by the troubles 









We were all encouraged to sign the peace wall. It was a wall to keep the two areas that mostly had the violence separated. It wasn’t like the Berlin Wall. There were gates you  could go through. But it helped keep the contact down 

It was going to be pulled down after a generation but no one seems in a hurry to 

It’s now a place of hope that the troubles never happen again. 

Here I am writing on the wall 



The troubles lasted 30 years. This year peace has lasted 25 years. 
Hopefully it lasts forever 



One of the gates through the wall 



We also stopped at the queen’s university 






Then we headed off to the docks to drive onto a ferry to take us over to Scotland 











It was a wonderful crossing. Smooth sailing 

We are now at our hotel and have a free night to relax. 
We are all pretty tired. 



Since I’ve been to Glasgow before I know all about this bridge. 
And this is the view from my window 
The squinty bridge. 

Dinner tonight is downstairs in the hotel and then I’ll be back in my room early 

I need to recoup and recharge for the final week of the tour 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for signing the wall. It's an importance symbol and I hope it stays. You're now in the home of my late Glaswegian husband, son of Maryhill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great that you are being shown raw history and not just the pretty things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad it seem lot of trouble is over religion.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a sad thing when a wall is a symbol of hope. For now it is a reminder, of all that distress and hate and evil, and a place/time they don't want to return to. I hope that there comes a day that it really can come down. xxx Mr T and F

    ReplyDelete