Saturday, June 17, 2023

Londonderry Derry



Off we went again today. We did a stop at donegal 
For morning tea 








Then off to Londonderry or Derry. It’s kinda a long story but this city has two names 

A mural of all the girls in Derry girls   I watched the whole thing before I left. So funny. 

Our TD played the first episode on the coach while we were on our way here. I’d forgotten how funny it was 


We did a part drive part waking tour and learnt all the history 













The heat is relentless. These buildings are not built to keep heat out. 

I’ve had a soak in s  Cold bath to be well enough to go out to our dinner and drinks night 

I’m downstairs having a drink with the other Aussie on the tour having a drink in the bar enjoying the coolness 

Tomorrow I tick off a bucket list place. So excited 

8 comments:

  1. Glad you made it to Derry!! The other name is the remnant of English government (not the English people, who had no say) who brutally enforced their version of the name. Since independence, the Republic has thrown off the colonial name, yay. Spoken by the granddaughter of an Irish woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct. It’s always those in power and the little people suffer.
      But it’s enjoyed 25 years of peace. Long may it continue
      Angela

      Delete
  2. Must be hot if the Aussie girl is complaining about the heat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s humid and very warm. It cools down at the end of the day. But the buildings done cool down. Especially since their windows don’t open wide and they don’t have air conditioning. I’m just grateful they have fans

      Delete
  3. This post made me think of the famous old folk song "Londonderry Air"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know it. I’ll have to try and find it when I get home. If I remember lol

      Delete
    2. Us northerners used to refer to it rudely as London Derriere! Our opinion of the name and the southerners who enforced it.

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, so that's what the murals all about. Haven't had that programme here. Mighty mural

    ReplyDelete