Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Journey to Waterford


Or as it was originally called 




It’s the oldest Viking village ever. 
I know. I was shocked too 

We did a tour of the Waterford crystal factory 











We also saw how these were made by the master craftsman themselves 
Fascinating 

We had the option of doing a walking tour with a local expert and oh my. It was so informative and fun. He told the story using people from the group to stand in as the characters   He played  the very old mean and crabby king. With one eye. Who married the most beautiful fair maid in the land. 

Yup. That was me lol 
He then pulled a guy from the group who played my much younger better looking and more powerful and rich king. Oh and he had two eyes lol 

I ran away with him and after four years he tried to get me back. But we hired a handsome bows man who won the war for us. 

The king, my new husband, gave him his daughter from his first wife as his bride as a thank you 

But I got mad because I didn’t know he had a daughter or other wife 

The daughter, played by another lady from our group, got mad as she didn’t want to get married and oh by the way who’s this lady saying she’s your wife. 

We laughed but hey it has stuck in my memory now and this , for many reasons, was how the Anglo’s were able to interfere in early Irish business. 

We all laughed. So much fun. History was never like this 

Earlier in the day on the way to Waterford we stopped off at the Irish national stud. 

It was very interesting as all around where I live are race  horse trainers 







They also have a Japanese garden 











We ended the day in an Irish pub. I had a Guinness and then we walked home. Our bags were in our rooms. Fiona, out TD,  gave  us our keys and now I’m all showered and ready for bed. 

It’s been a very busy day 


4 comments:

  1. Vikings, crystal, being in a history play, stud farm, Japanese garden and an Irish pub -- wow, what a jam-packed day! Glad it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing all inclusive trip this is! I didn't know the origin of Waterford.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagine how much history we would remember if it was taught like that!
    Waterford produce some beautiful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing dry about Irish history. He certainly made it a story you won't forget, fair maiden

    ReplyDelete