Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Crazy weather and socks

The weather the last few days has been more like Queensland weather than Victorian 
The days have been warm and sunny, and humid. And then in the afternoon the thunder starts 
The sun goes away, the temperature drops and it rains. 

Not that I’m complaining. It’s lovely drying weather and then it’s perfect for garden’s weather 
Not having to water is a big plus. 

The downside is it’s too hot to crochet that wool blanket. It’s now a decent size and very warm indeed 
So I’ve switched to a small project. Socks. 

I bought this yarn on line. It looks so pretty. Christmas colours and some sparkle 
But it’s not nice at all. It’s way too scratchy for socks. Although that’s what it was sold as 
So I’m trying a new way of knitting socks to use it up 


You knit it flat in this shape and then sew it up to form a sock. 



I think I’ll just use up the yarn making these and then I’ll sew them up. Fill them with chocolate and give them away as gifts 
Not going to put pressure on myself to finish for this Christmas. They can be a long term project for next year. 

I’m even thinking of making things durning the year and having a Christmas market stall to see if I can make some pocket money 
To spend on, you guessed it. More yarn. Lol 
Anyway I’m currently sitting outside, hubby has finished mowing all the lawns. They were very long and shaggy 
And I can hear the thunder,and the start of rain on the tin roof. 

Enjoying the coolness after a busy day 

10 comments:

  1. That is an interesting pattern. Some sock yarn becomes less scratchy after a wash.
    I keep meaning to make stuff for a once a year stall. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an approach to socks I haven't seen before. Interesting. I wonder if it will soften in use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sparkly stuff is like wire. It won’t soften no matter how many washes

      Delete
  3. Knit slipper socks - and make crocheted string soles to give them more wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that. But bring Christmas colours we don’t need slippers in the summer

      Delete
  4. Your weather sounds very tropical. We have June days like that. Sunshine and then rain.
    I have those socks on my to-do list!!..
    You've given me a great idea. I shall make 5 of them in Xmas colours and hang them up with sweets and chocs in them. Till this year all the grandchildren have had big knitted Xmas stockings which are too hard to fill. These will be perfect. A new tradition!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an interesting way to knit socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll definitely post and show you how they go

      Delete